Skip to content
  • Home
  • Recent
Collapse
Brand Logo
CRYSTAL23
Latest v1.0.1
Tutorials Try the Demo Get a License
Tutorials Try the Demo Get a License Instagram
  1. Home
  2. CRYSTAL
  3. Vibrational Spectroscopies: IR, Raman, INS
  4. one zero frequency mode is missing

one zero frequency mode is missing

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Vibrational Spectroscopies: IR, Raman, INS
3 Posts 2 Posters 465 Views 2 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • job314
    job314
    job314
    wrote on last edited by dmitoli
    #1

    I am used to seeing 3 zero frequency modes in the crystal frequency calculation output. This urea crystal calculation has only two - I was wondering why and can I use this outcome for thermodynamics calculations with this missing mode

    MODES         EIGV          FREQUENCIES     IRREP  IR   INTENS    RAMAN
                 (HARTREE**2)   (CM**-1)     (THZ)             (KM/MOL)
        1-   2   -0.1181E-19      0.0000    0.0000  (E  )   A (     0.00)   A
        3-   3    0.2094E-19      0.0000    0.0000  (B2 )   A (     0.00)   A
        4-   4    0.1254E-06     77.7189    2.3300  (B1 )   I (     0.00)   A
        5-   5    0.2460E-06    108.8462    3.2631  (A2 )   I (     0.00)   I
        6-   7    0.3349E-06    127.0111    3.8077  (E  )   A (     0.00)   A
        8-   8    0.4355E-06    144.8406    4.3422  (A1 )   I (     0.00)   A
        9-  10    0.6407E-06    175.6769    5.2667  (E  )   A (     0.00)   A
       11-  12    0.1108E-05    230.9837    6.9247  (E  )   A (     0.00)   A
       13-  13    0.4844E-05    483.0526   14.4816  (B1 )   I (     0.00)   A
       14-  14    0.6693E-05    567.8172   17.0227  (A1 )   I (     0.00)   A
       15-  16    0.6926E-05    577.5886   17.3157  (E  )   A (     0.00)   A
       17-  17    0.7310E-05    593.3990   17.7897  (B2 )   A (     0.00)   A
       18-  19    0.7970E-05    619.6054   18.5753  (E  )   A (     0.00)   A
       20-  20    0.8638E-05    645.0548   19.3383  (A2 )   I (     0.00)   I
       21-  21    0.1067E-04    717.0169   21.4956  (B1 )   I (     0.00)   A
       22-  22    0.1286E-04    787.0371   23.5948  (A2 )   I (     0.00)   I
       23-  24    0.1322E-04    798.0946   23.9263  (E  )   A (     0.00)   A
       25-  26    0.1420E-04    826.9504   24.7914  (E  )   A (     0.00)   A
       27-  27    0.2232E-04   1036.9495   31.0870  (B2 )   A (     0.00)   A
       28-  28    0.2251E-04   1041.3084   31.2176  (A1 )   I (     0.00)   A
       29-  30    0.2535E-04   1105.1276   33.1309  (E  )   A (     0.00)   A
       31-  31    0.2780E-04   1157.1639   34.6909  (B2 )   A (     0.00)   A
       32-  32    0.3003E-04   1202.7304   36.0569  (A1 )   I (     0.00)   A
       33-  34    0.4803E-04   1521.0625   45.6003  (E  )   A (     0.00)   A
       35-  35    0.4892E-04   1535.0190   46.0187  (A1 )   I (     0.00)   A
       36-  36    0.5334E-04   1602.8976   48.0537  (B2 )   A (     0.00)   A
       37-  38    0.5717E-04   1659.4784   49.7499  (E  )   A (     0.00)   A
       39-  39    0.5840E-04   1677.2645   50.2831  (A1 )   I (     0.00)   A
       40-  40    0.6098E-04   1713.8726   51.3806  (B2 )   A (     0.00)   A
       41-  42    0.2380E-03   3386.0936  101.5125  (E  )   A (     0.00)   A
       43-  43    0.2424E-03   3416.7391  102.4313  (A1 )   I (     0.00)   A
       44-  44    0.2438E-03   3426.7219  102.7305  (B2 )   A (     0.00)   A
       45-  46    0.2612E-03   3547.0252  106.3371  (E  )   A (     0.00)   A
       47-  47    0.2614E-03   3548.4246  106.3791  (A1 )   I (     0.00)   A
       48-  48    0.2657E-03   3577.3918  107.2475  (B2 )   A (     0.00)   A
    

    urea.out

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • dmitoli
      dmitoli
      dmitoli
      Developer
      wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Dear Jonas,

      What you are seeing in your output is actually consistent with having three zero-frequency acoustic modes. The first entry of the table (modes 1-2) has irrep E, which is a two-dimensional irreducible representation, so it corresponds to two degenerate modes at zero frequency. The second entry (mode 3) has irrep B2, which is non-degenerate and represents the third zero-frequency mode.

      This is standard for crystals with symmetry: degeneracies can make the number of printed lines smaller than the actual number of modes.

      Hope this helps!

      Davide Mitoli, PhD
      Postdoctoral Researcher
      Department of Chemistry - University of Torino
      V. Giuria 5, 10125 Torino (Italy)
      https://github.com/davidemitoli

      1 Reply Last reply
      2
      • job314
        job314
        job314
        wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I see, thank you

        1 Reply Last reply
        0

        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

        With your input, this post could be even better đź’—

        Register Login
        Reply
        • Reply as topic
        Log in to reply
        • Oldest to Newest
        • Newest to Oldest
        • Most Votes


        Powered by Crystal Solutions
        • Login

        • Don't have an account? Register

        • Login or register to search.
        • First post
          Last post
        0
        • Home
        • Recent