MAXCYCLE is not functional within EOS and PREOPTGEOM
-
Dear all, I am running EOS calculation with pre optimization. I specify
EOS RANGE 0.92 1.08 8 PREOPTGEOM MAXCYCLE 500 END BASISSET mTZVP DFT B973C XLGRID ENDand it registers
INFORMATION **** MAXCYCLE **** MAXIMUM NUMBER OF OPTIMIZATION CYCLES 500but then at some point in time preoptimization fails after 102 cycles only.
CONVERGENCE TESTS UNSATISFIED AFTER 102 ENERGY AND GRADIENT CALCULATIONS ****************************************************************** * OPT END - FAILED * E(AU): -6.954164500406E+03 POINTS 102 * ****************************************************************** -
Hi,
Yes, it looks strange, and 102 is a funny number.
Could you try to run a regular optimization (i.e. with OPTGEOM and not within the EOS) and let me know if the same happens?
-
I think I found how to attach. Quick reply does not have attachment options. See attached. EOS search where 102 cycles max out (EOS.out) and then simple OPTGEOM (optgeom.out).
-
I think I found how to attach. Quick reply does not have attachment options. See attached. EOS search where 102 cycles max out (EOS.out) and then simple OPTGEOM (optgeom.out).
job314 I have checked your attached output files. The OPTGEOM calculation converges to the optimized structure in 29 steps. The PREOPTGEOM calculation within the EOS option converges to the same optimized structure in 25 steps. A lower number of steps in EOS is likely due to the higher accuracy of the computed forces because of tighter default settings in EOS than in OPTGEOM (for instance, TOLDEE is set to 8 in EOS and to 7 in OPTGEOM).
The EOS.out file you shared looks perfectly fine. I can not find any failed geometry optimizations there. After the pre-optimization, the actual constant-volume optimizations are performed (converged in 40, 19, 16, 16, 8 steps, respectively). The output is not complete because I guess the calculation was still running.
-
Sorry, I have been working fiercely on these cases, must have overwritten many times. Several EOS cases run out of cycles such as this after 102 cycles abive, including this one when I start range at 0.92 lattice constant (according to the online manual examples). Some of these problems went away when I narrowed the range, e.g. start at 0.96
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login