Error with external electric field
-
Dear Colleagues,
I hope you're doing well.
I have a question regarding an error I encountered in my calculations using CRYSTAL17 and would appreciate your help.I attempted to apply an external electric field in the 0-0-1 direction to a bulk structure using the following keywords in my input file:
FIELD
0.00194467
0 0 1However, I received a syntax error. Please see the attached input input and output files.
Previously, I successfully applied an external electric field to 2D nanostructures using the "FIELDCON" keyword without any issues. However, I encountered this error when working with bulk structures.
I would be grateful for any guidance you can provide.Best regard,
Masoud -
Hi,
The two options you are using, FIELDCON and FIELD, apply a finite electric field along non-periodic and periodic directions, respectively. Thus, FIELDCON can be used for low-dimensional systems (1D, 2D) only.
When the finite electric field is applied along a periodic direction (FIELD option), a supercell must be built along that direction, which requires additional input parameters with respect to the FIELDCON option. A complete input in your case would look something like:
FIELD 0.00194467 0 0 1 4 1 40 1where 4 is the supercell expansion factor along the periodic direction of the field and 40 is the number of Fourier terms for the triangular potential expansion.
For a detailed description of the use of FIELD and FIELDCON, please refer to this tutorial page.
Note
Please, be aware that a more analytical approach is available in CRYSTAL to compute the optical dielectric tensor of a system - that does not require any supercell to be built - through the coupled-perturbed Kohn-Sham (CPKS) method. The input for this option is simply:
CPKS ENDto be inserted before the END of the geometry input block.
You can find a tutorial page on CPKS here.
We do strongly encourage to use CPKS rather than FIELD unless strictly needed.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login